The art of true living in this world is more like a wrestler’s than a dancer’s practice.Marcus Aurelius
This post may contain affiliate links. Although I may earn small commissions when you click on that links – without adding any cost to your bought – my opinions remain my own; therefore, I will never recommend any product or service I would not use myself. Want to learn more about the topic? Don’t hesitate to read the full disclaimer here.
This post is review-oriented; therefore, we will not cover stationary bikes’ workouts, their benefits, risks, and how well they perform compared with other similar aerobic workouts.
However, if you want to learn about the universe of stationary bikes, you can find our article on the manner here. 🙂
What Is The Best Upright Stationary Bike Review For 2022
In our previous review – which you can find here – we put our efforts into finding the best treadmills on the market. This time we provide you with our ultimate list of the best upright stationary bikes for home use.
Since we all have different needs, goals, and budgets, I will provide you with the best options under a specific value, starting at a couple of hundred dollars up to a couple of thousand.
Keep in mind that you have multiple brands – household names and up-and-coming alike – with excellent upright stationary bikes. So, in the end, what might be suitable for a person can be bad for another, with plenty of different reasons playing a role in one’s experience with a specific upright stationary bike.
To narrow my choices as accurately as possible – and avoid misguiding you – I invested a great deal of time reading verified buyers’ reviews to understand better the pros and cons of all the upright stationary bikes I eventually selected for this post.
Additionally, I went to different gyms in my local area to know which machines they have and know the opinion of fitness instructors. Finally, I thoroughly researched upright stationary bikes on the brands’ websites and complaint websites like Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and Complaint Boards.
I hope the result of all that research can be helpful to you find the most suitable upright stationary bike for your needs and goals.
For each upright stationary bike, I will provide you with a brief description of the brand, all the technical information concerning the upright stationary bike, some short and insightful reviews made by verified buyers, and a short final summary.
So without further ado, let’s jump on the sauce and see what is the best upright stationary bike.
Around $300 – Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B2952
- Brand: Sunny Health & Fitness
- Model: SF-B2952
- Price: $275.99
- You can find it at: sunnyhealthfitness.com
“Reap the benefits of an active lifestyle when using the Sunny Health and Fitness SF-B2952. Enjoy an endorphin rush as you crank up the intensity using the adjustable resistance knob.
Build a strong health and fitness foundation as you increase your cardiovascular strength, burn calories, and develop muscles throughout your legs, hips, and core.
Transform your physique while relishing a comfortable low impact upright stationary bike cycling experience.”
- Monitor: tracks scan, time, rpm, speed, distance, calorie, pulse, calendar, clock, temperature
- Adjustable resistance: 8 levels
- Smooth belt drive system
- Pulse sensors
- Device holder
- Floor stabilizers
- Seat: 11L x 10.5W x 2H in / 28L x 27W x 5H cm
- Cushioned seat
- 4-way adjustable seat
- Self-leveling pedal with adjustable strap
- Non-slip handlebars
- Transportation wheels
- Weight capacity: 275 lbs – 125 kg
- Adjustable inseam: Min 24 in / 61 cm – Max 36.5 in / 93 cm
- Resistance: magnetic
- Warranty: 3-year structural frame, 180 days other parts and components
- Product weight: 56 lbs – 25.5 kg
- Product dimensions: 40.5L x 21W x 51H in / 103L x 53.5W x 130H cm
- Ship weight: 64 lbs – 29 kg
- Ship dimensions: 33.9L x 11W x 24.8H in / 86L x 28W x63H cm
- Reviews’ Number: 37 Verified buyers
- Rate: 4.8 stars
- Source: sunnyhealthfitness.com
“This upright bike is wonderful! It is quiet, sturdy, comfortable, and very easy to move. In addition, I am amazed by the quality of this piece of equipment.
My husband was very skeptical of such an inexpensive bike and was sure it would be rickety, loud, and a piece of junk. But, boy, was he wrong!
The ride is smooth, and I can ride as hard as I choose with the many tension levels. I also have a Row & Ride, which I love and use regularly. Treat yourself. You will not regret this purchase.”
“I needed a bike that could fit in the corner of my daycare and be super quiet while the little ones were taking a nap. So I looked at the reviews and decided to take a chance.
I put it together in about 20 minutes, a very easy setup. I worked out for 20 minutes with tension at seven, and I could feel not only the burn in the back of my legs but my heart rate was elevated. And SUPER QUIET!
I initially gave this a 4 star, but it deserves a five-star now that I realize what the release buttons are for (adjusting bike positions). I loved this bike so much that I purchased another one for the second floor where my other cardio machines reside.”
“I’m 5’7, weighing 250 pounds, and I’ve been using this bike twice a day. It is well worth the investment. The bike holds up well and does not shake or wobble.”
To start things out, our first choice, around $300, is the SF-B2952, brought to us by Sunny Health and Fitness.
Although you have upright stationary bikes even less expensive than the SF-B2952 that could make our list, none of them – in my opinion – offer you the same sturdiness as the SB2952.
One of the reasons for sharing reviews made by verified buyers is to show you how credible and legit is the brands’ claims.
Here we can see that besides de mentioned SF-B2952’s sturdiness – performing well near the weight limit – this upright stationary bike provides you a silent, challenging workout, all with comfort.
If you are a beginner, short on budget, or even not sure if you will invest the desired time and effort in indoor cycling, the SF-B2952 is a choice that will not let you down.
Around $500 – Schwinn 170 Upright Bike
- Brand: Schwinn
- Model: 170 Upright Bike
- Price: $549
- You can find it at: schwinnfitness.com
“Bring the many health benefits of cycling right into your home with the Schwinn 170 Upright Bike.
Designed for a fluid, comfortable ride, it moves you quickly towards your goals with dozens of cardio workout options.
A fully-featured, Explore the World compatible console and easy data tracking for monitoring your progress, making it our best upright stationary bike.”
- Streamlined console: 2 blue backlit LCD screen system
- Monitor: track time, distance, calorie goals, and transfer metrics via Bluetooth
- High speed, high inertia drive system
- Charging USB port
- MP3 input
- Media shelf
- Adjustable resistance: 25 levels
- 29 programs
- Seat: padded contoured with rail bicycle seat
- Adjustable angle, padded handlebars
- Oversized pedals with toe straps
- Telemetric heart rate enabled and ergonomically placed contact heart rate sensors
- Weight capacity: 300 lbs – 136 kg
- Height range: 4’6″ – 6’6″ / 140 – 201 cm
- Adjustable three speed fan
- Warranty: 10-year structural frame, 2-year other parts, 1-year electronics, and 90-days labor
- Product weight: 58.4 lbs – 26.5 kg
- Product dimensions: 41.3L x 21.4W x 55.6H in / 105L x 54W x 151H cm
- Ship weight: N/A
- Ship dimensions: N/A
- Reviews’ number: 134 Verified buyers
- Rate: 4.5 stars
- Source: schwinnfitness.com
“This bike is amazing! Easy to use interface with a wide variety of exercise programs built-in. You can easily track time, distance, RPMs, calories, levels, and so on during each ride and see cumulative data from your riding history.
We’ve been using this bike every day for about three weeks with no complaints, and it is super quiet, which is perfect for our apartment. I would recommend and buy again!”
“This bike has been wonderful. I am just starting with an exercise routine ( 3-4 times a week), and so far, it has been great.
I love the Bluetooth feature that I have synced to the Schwinn trainer app; it is excellent for keeping a record of workouts and goals.
The bike is very quiet, and the seat is very comfortable. Very sturdy and made very well. I cannot say one bad word.”
“This bike makes my workouts much more convenient than going to a gym. I can now quickly fit a workout in anytime that my busy schedule allows.
I know the bike is clean and well maintained. It’s smooth, quiet, sturdy, and not bulky. Perfect for my downtown condo!”
“A cardiologist told me that exercising five days a week and a upright stationary bike is a must for me. So this is my first upright stationary bike ever.
I have chosen Schwinn 170 over all other comparable models/brands. I assembled it myself, and I absolutely love this bike. I am still learning the navigation panel, though, and I use the Schwinn app too! Thank you!”
Around the $500 mark, it’s hard to put your money in any other cycle than the Schwinn 170 Upright Bike.
For starts, this upright stationary bike was brought to us by Schwinn, one of the top brands in the fitness industry, and secondly, this upright stationary bike is a best seller on most of the sites I visited throughout my research – schwinnfitness.com, amazon.com, etc.
Aside from the sales, the reviews I came across – which were a lot – allowed me to understand that the Schwinn 170 is arguably the best upright stationary bike within his price range.
With a relatively small footprint, a friendly user interface, and lots of programs to choose from, the Schwinn 170 will provide you with a solid workout with all the sturdiness, silence, and comfort.
If you are looking for an upright stationary bike for the long term without investing too much money in it, the 170 Upright Bike is an option to consider.
Around $1000 – NordicTrack Commercial VU19
- Brand: NordicTrack
- Model: Commercial VU19
- Price: $999
- You can find it at: nordictrack.com
“Get your heart pumping. Use the built-in grip pulse sensors and included wireless chest strap to keep track of your heart rate and target a specific heart rate based on your fitness goals.
Discover ultimate comfort for your high-energy workout with the oversized cushion seat that adjusts both vertically and horizontally.
Work out and keep cool with the AutoBreeze workout fan. It automatically adjusts to match your workout intensity, so you won’t have to manually adjust it throughout your workout.
Make your favorite entertainment part of your workout routine. Attach your tablet above the console and watch your favorite shows. You can also plug your device into the auxiliary music port and listen to your music through crystal clear speakers.”
- Monitor: 7 in / 18 cm Smart HD color touchscreen
- 30-Day iFIT Family membership included
- Automatic trainer control
- Integrated pivoting tablet holder
- Auxiliary music port
- AC adapter included
- Two 2 in / 5 cm Bluetooth compatible speakers
- Seat: oversized and cushioned
- Vertical and horizontal seat adjustment
- Extra-wide, ergonomic foot pedals with adjustable strap
- EKG grip pulse heart rate monitor
- iFIT Bluetooth smart chest strap
- Weight Capacity: 325 lbs – 147.5 kg
- Inertia-enhanced Flywheel: 19 lbs – 9 kg
- Upright Frame
- 24 digital resistance levels
- SMR (silent magnetic resistance)
- AutoBreeze workout fan
- Warranty: 10-year structural frame, 2-year other parts and components, 1-year labor
- Product weight: 115 lbs – 52 kg
- Product dimensions: 43.6L x 24.9W x 59.4H in / 111L x 63W x 151H cm
- Ship weight: N/A
- Ship dimensions: N/A
- Reviews’ number: 340 Verified buyers
- Rate: 4.5 stars
- Source: nordictrack.com
“I absolutely love the VU19 and am so happy I bought it. The main thing I love is that the seat is super comfortable.
If you are looking for a great way to be consistent with daily exercise at an affordable price, I highly recommend the VU19.”
“I am really enjoying iFit, and following the coach along some of the most beautiful places in the world really makes the workout go fast. Also, the seat can get low enough for my nine-year-old to use.
This bike has a small footprint and a wider, more comfortable seat. I would highly recommend it and iFit if you are looking for a great home bike for the family!”
“The VU19 is a sturdy bike with a very smooth ride. I use it 4-5 times a week for 60 minutes while watching movies. Excellent resistance controls allow flexibility in workout intensity. An excellent value overall.”
“It’s amazing! The only thing I would suggest changing is allowing the seat to lower more for us, short people. I struggle a bit, but I make it work. I also would like to see a softer seat because my booty is sore afterward.”
Now that we arrive at the four digits, our choice around the $1000 goes to the NordicTrack Commercial VU19.
NordicTrack, one of the biggest names within the industry, is known for its treadmills, elliptical trainers, and of course, upright stationary bikes.
The Commercial VU19 is a solid piece of hardware with an excellent training program (iFIT) that provides you with live training that promises to keep you focused and motivated throughout your workout sessions.
Throughout my research, I came across some remarks concerning the VU19, though – in my opinion – the only remark worthy of record is the (somehow) VU19’s high seat. So, if you are a relatively small person, maybe you will endure some discomfort during your training sessions.
If you are searching for an upright stationary bike with a small footprint, sturdy, reliable, and with a training program to keep you on track, the NordicTrack (no pun intended) Commercial VU19 is a worthy choice that will help you on your fitness goals.
Around $1500 – Peloton Bike
Model: Original Peloton Bike
You can find it at: onepeloton.com
Peloton does not have a traditional description; instead, they provide you with some informative bullet points that I will share with you.
- “Access to live classes and thousands more on demand”
- “Individual profiles for household access”
- “In-workout metrics like power, cadence, resistance, and heart rate”
- “Leaderboard to workout alongside other members”
- “Training programs and challenges”
- “Workout history, milestone achievements, streaks, and badges”
- “Special event programming”
- Monitor: 21.5 in / 55 cm HD touchscreen with 2.0 GHz quad-core processor, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB internal flash storage
- 5-megapixel front‑facing camera for video chats
- 2-channel rear-facing stereo speaker system with 16 watts
- USB micro port
- 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity
- Built-in microphone
- Seat: sport series saddle with ergonomic channel
- Pedals: delta-compatible aluminum
- Bottom bracket: industrial grade bearings with ISIS splined spindle
- Adjustable seat, handlebar, and screen
- Resistance knob
- Weight capacity: 297 lbs – 135 kg
- Bike Footprint: 4′ L x 2′ W / 122W x 61W cm
- Height range: 4’11″ – 6’4″ / 122 – 195 cm
- Frame: welded steel, ED and powder coated
- Crank arms: 6.7 in / 17 cm length forged steel
- Resistance: magnetic with mechanical adjustment
- Age: 14+
- Warranty: 5-year structural frame, 1-year other parts and components
- Product weight: 135 lbs – 61 kg
- Product dimensions: 59L x 23W x 53H in / 150L x 58W x 135H cm
- Ship weight: N/A
- Ship dimensions: N/A
Reviews’ number: 14236 Verified buyers
Rate: 4.8 stars
“You will not find another piece of exercise equipment better than Peloton! It’s exceptionally well made and designed, very easy to use, has tons of exercise options from cardio and boot camp to strength to yoga and stretching.
It gives you so many options with incredible instructors and a huge variety that you are sure to find the ones that match best with your likes and goals.
I have exercised my whole life, but I find that I’m now doing more just because it’s fun and engaging, and I can always find something to fit into my schedule.
Also, they make it very easy to add on (stack) 10 or 15 minutes classes, so I’m doing more core and stretching than ever, and I never made time for those before.
It’s like having a gym and tons of personal trainers right in your house. You never get bored. Something for everyone and any fitness level! And, my husband had zero desire to get a Peloton, and now he’s hooked too! Buy it! Money well spent!”
“I can say after years of working out at the gym, loving my spin classes, I feel the fittest I have ever been. I use my bike every day and love the flexibility to choose such an amazing variety of workouts.
I love the instructors. They’re motivating and fully engaging. Best investment I have made in my health and well-being to date!”
“The bike feels really well built. The seat is fine when you get used to it. Set up was easy and fast. However, the programs seem like there should be more – plenty of classes but only three programs.“
On the $1500 price range, our choice goes to the Peloton Bike, made by Peloton.
Peloton is not by any means a cheap brand, nor their Peloton Bike is by any means a cheap product, in the opposite.
The Peloton Bike is a piece of fitness equipment that will provide you with everything you ever wanted in an upright stationary bike – sturdiness, smooth and silent pedal, and extra comfort.
You have an optional workout program that grants you live train access that goes beyond cycling. A significant down to buy the mentioned workout program is its price, which goes over $700. But hey, we are talking about Peloton, remember? 🙂
If you are feeling generous and want to invest in an upright stationary bike that will probably outlast you, the Peloton Bike is an excellent candidate for the job.
Around $2000 – LifeSpan Fitness Cycle Boxer CB110
- Brand: LifeSpan Fitness
- Model: Cycle Boxer CB110
- Price: $1.999
- You can find it at: lifespan.com
“The LifeSpan Cycle Boxer is a piece of innovative fitness equipment that consists of an exercise bike and a punching bag. You are pedaling and punching simultaneously during training, and you do both cardio fitness and strength training.
With this tough total body workout, you train your stamina, muscle strength, coordination, reaction time, concentration, and balance. You also learn through multitasking because you have to do two things at the same time.
The punching bag has flashing colored targets on the punch pad. It’s your challenge to hit the right target at the right time.
This way, you will train your eye-hand coordination, memory, reaction time, balance, and muscle strength. In addition, it makes your training less boring and monotonous because you don’t just have to pedal, staring at the wall.
You can focus on something else and really challenge yourself. It’s so much fun to do that it barely feels like you’re training anymore.”
- Monitor: LCD display, interactive touchscreen console with program name, tutor, date and time, workout time, rest time, round, speed, resistance, calories, summary, cycle revolutions, pulse, score, punch reaction time, punch accuracy, max combo, cycling-distance, cycle velocity, Bluetooth, app
- Bluetooth interface: heart rate monitoring
- Heart rate monitor has an included chest strap
- Free access to the Cycle Boxer app
- Seat: manually 8 adjustable seat between 34.25 x 42.12 x 4 in / 61 x 107 x 10 cm
- Pedals: bi-directional; forward and backward pedaling
- Resistance levels: 16
- Adjustable pedal straps
- 2 front mounted wheels
- Cup holder
- Weight capacity: 300 lbs – 136 kg
- Height range: 5’25” – 6’1″ / 160 – 186 cm
- Flywheel: 13.2 lbs – 34 kg
- Material: Alloy Steel
- Warranty: lifetime structural frame, 5-year other parts and components, 2-year labor
- Product weight: 121 lbs – 55 kg
- Product dimensions: 43.6L x 27W x 63 – 74,5H in / 111L x 69W x 160 – 189H cm
- Ship weight: 143 lbs – 65 kg
- Ship dimensions:
- Box A: 41.3L x 12.8W x 31.5H in / 105L x 33W x 80H cm
- Box B: 42.9L x 15.8W x 24.4H in / 109L x 40W x 62H cm
- Reviews’ number: 2 Verified buyers
- Rate: 4.5 stars
- Source: amazon.com
“I have two other exercise bikes, a Peloton, and a Pro-form Tour De France, with very comfortable seats. However, this Cycle Boxer rubbed me raw in 20 minutes. It is way too wide.
That aside, I really like it. It works the legs, arms, and mind in unison. Really nice cardio workout with some added mental factor of concentrating on throwing strikes when alerted by the light.”
“Cardio is not so dreadful anymore! I just started training boxing, and this is a perfect machine to help me stay fit in between classes at home.”
When you have a budget of around $2000 to invest in an upright stationary bike, your expectations and demands should be as high as the price, and with that in mind, I present you the Cycle Boxer CB110, brought to us by LifeSpan Fitness.
LifeSpan Fitness is a brand that I particularly admire, primarily by its inventive, creative, and always surprising products. Rather is their under-the-desk treadmills, stationary bike desks, or always competitive elliptical trainers, LifeSpan Fitness is a brand that will help you achieve your goals, often differently and excitingly.
With the Cycle Boxer CB110, things are not different. An upright stationary bike with a punching pad included that promises to bring the best out of you.
If you are a seasoned athlete, a cycling lover, or love to challenge yourself in new and creative ways, the Cycle Boxer CB110 has the potential to become your brand new favorite piece of fitness equipment to have in your home.
Premium – NOHrD Indoor Exercise Bike Club
- Brand: NOHrD
- Model: NOHrD Indoor Exercise Bike Club
- Price: $2,999
- You can find it at: norhd.com
“Introducing the NOHrD Bike – an indoor cycle with an innovative, aesthetic design adhering to our continuous high demands on functionality.
Using advanced planetary gearing with a solid wood and steel frame, this bike is extremely durable, perfectly suited for professional use in the fitness studio or home gym.
The NOHrD Bike technical features include an innovative gear unit and a smooth, wear-free brake technology based on eddy current, guaranteeing extraordinary durability. In addition, pedal stroke resistance is precise and infinitely variable by turning the setting disc.
The NOHrD Bike is designed for maximal stability within minimal space: requiring a mere 0.44 sq meters, this piece of exercise equipment seamlessly fits into any interior environment.
The foot sections are equipped with rubberized rollers for easy raising and positioning.”
- Integrated screen
- Integrated speakers
- Bike exercise app included
- Battery pack, integrated USB charger socket included
- Planetary gear unit: 1:8 ratio
- Saddle angle: 30 degrees
- Saddle bar extension: 7 in / 17.5cm
- Saddle bracket: universal
- Pedal stroke: infinitely variable / resistance: magnetic brake
- Hybrid pedals (compatible with clip system)
- Rubber wheels
- Weight capacity: 441 lbs – 200 kg
- Bike footprint: 31.5 x 23.6 in / 80 x 60 cm
- Height range: 5’2″ – 6’5″ / 160 – 200cm
- Flywheel: 12.2 lbs – 5.5 kg
- Handlebar extension: 11 in / 27.5 cm
- Warranty: 1-year structural frame, 1-year other parts and components (upgradeable to 2-year on all components and 2-year on all wooden components by registering your NOHrD bike within the first year of purchase)
- Product weight: 132.5 lbs – 60 kg
- Product dimensions: 44.5 – 49.2L x 23.6W x 46 – 51.5W in / 113 – 125L x 60W x 117 – 131H cm
- Ship weight: N/A
- Ship dimensions: N/A (2 boxes)
- Reviews’ number: 33 Verified buyers
- Rate: 4.5 stars
- Source: fitshop.fr
“The bike is really the “egg-laying woolly swine.” Until I found it, I assumed that not all of my wishes could be fulfilled at once, but lo and behold: it works! Stable, pretty, quiet, no cable fuss. Precisely what I was looking for!
“The NOHrD Bike is stylish but just as functional. After we actually wanted a Spinning bike, we decided on this ingenious bike for various reasons:
- Made in Germany
- It fits as a design piece even in our living area
- App with lots of courses, scenery rides, and virtual spinning classes for FREE, which is awesome
- App easy to use
- No cable clutter thanks to the included power bank
- Converted into a desk if you add the wooden top as additional equipment (just great)
All in all, we are delighted and can highly recommend the bike.
“We have had the Nohrd WaterRower for years. Now the bike has to come!
The design is amazing and, like the rowing machine, will find its place in the living room as a highlight.
Likewise, of course, the experience of training on a very high-quality device! Other parts of NOHrD are happy to follow.”
“This review expresses my satisfaction following the purchase of a NOHrD Bike and after almost three months of use.
The bike is very stable and comfortable. Moreover, the application is easy to use, gives all the necessary information, and is very readable, whether on a tablet or smartphone.
The aesthetics of the bike are magnificent and make it a real object of decoration.”
Now we arrive at the cream of the crop in the form of the NOHrd Bike, created by NOHrD.
NOHrD is a German brand specialized in high-quality fitness equipment like rowing machines, treadmills, wooden wall bars, and upright stationary bikes, of course.
With an incredible small print, a fantastic aesthetic, and a magnificent, smooth, and powerful performance, the NOHrD Bike will provide you the fitness workout that you always dreamed of.
Built with a solid and elegant steel and wood frame, the NOHrD Bike is more than a piece of equipment; it is a real aesthetic highlight to have at home.
If money is not an issue for you, and you want the best upright stationary bike it can buy, then the NOHrD Bike has all the predicates to be your best and first choice!
My Two Cents
Before wrapping up this post, I’d like to give a couple of pieces of advice to help you find the best upright stationary bike that will fit better your needs and goals.
First, do your research thoroughly – consult multiple sources, check reviews and complaints, compare prices, etc.
Throughout your research, you will come across multiple opinions and points of view, with perhaps personal financial interests playing a role in all of that.
Although my fellow bloggers might dislike I am sharing the latter point, it is a fact. So, therefore, read on the underlines to know when you’re being helped or pitched.
There you have it, guys, my last words of advice on our ultimate list with the best upright stationary bikes on the market. I hope you found all this information useful and helped you with your decisions.
If you wonder which are the best recumbent bikes on the market, you’ll be happy to know that we will be covering this topic in a future post, so stay tuned to find out which are our recumbent bikes’ top choices.
Do you think I miss something? Do you want to add something or just give me your thoughts on the subject? Do not hesitate to drop a comment in the comment section below, and I’ll gladly reply to you back.
Before you go, if you arrive until this part of the article, I’d like to THANK YOU for your time reading another of our posts and giving us your feedback to help us improve our work continuously! It means a lot to me!
If you like our content, please consider following us everywhere (except on the street, that’s weird :)) and I’ll catch you in our next post; until then, stay strong and keep pedaling! Amor Fati! : )
Founder of Against the Ropes.